19 May 2020
19:00 - 21:00
Oh God! Not Another One?
A Kitchen Table Workshop with Selina Thompson re-learning how we do democracy
Oh God! Not Another One? is a utopic session for dreamers, doers and people who think ‘there’s too much politics’. Come take your seat at the kitchen table with Selina Thompson and reclaim some of the hours lost to democracy when Boris Johnson prorogued Parliament in 2019.
Can we do politics better than those who claim to do it for us? Can we reach consensus? Will we change the world… or make just as much of a mess of it?
Together, we’ll reflect on the current state of democracy and then imagine new approaches and solutions and come up with plans for actioning them.
Front image of Selina Thompson: Jana Rumley
19 May 2020
19:00 - 21:00
£2 - £6
Writer and Artist
Selina is a writer and artist whose work has been shown and praised internationally. Her practice is intimate, political and participatory with a strong emphasis on public engagement, which leads to provocative and highly visual work that seeks to connect with those historically excluded by the arts. Selina’s work is currently focused on the politics of marginalisation, and how this comes to define our bodies, relationships and environments. She has made work for pubs, hairdressers, toilets, and sometimes even galleries and theatres, including BBC Radio, the National Theatre Studio and The National Theatre of Scotland as well as theatres across the UK, Europe, Brazil, North America and Australia. Selina has been described as ‘a force of nature’ (The Stage) and ‘an inspiration’ (The Independent). She was featured in The Stage 100 Most Influential Leaders 2018, and awarded the Forced Entertainment Award in 2019.
There is step-free access to all areas of Free Word and a number of other facilities available to make the venue accessible.
• Our box office, theatre and hall are all on the ground floor with step-free access from the street
• Meeting rooms and offices are accessible by lift from the ground floor
• There are two accessible toilets on the ground floor. All our toilets are individual, gender neutral cubicles.
• Hearing loops are available at the box office and the theatre (when set up theatre style) and in all meeting rooms
• The foyer and café areas are our designated quiet spaces – if you need to leave the event at any time, you’re welcome to use these areas.
• If you need to bring someone for assistance, please get in touch with us so we can provide a free ticket for them
Please talk to our team if you have specific access requirements.