6 May 2020
In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus) in the UK, we have been revising plans for our season.
We are happy to say that this event will be transformed into online content. More information about this coming soon!
Working class people continue to face exclusion from cultural spaces, even when they are actively making work – what can we do to tackle this?
In this thought-provoking evening of performance, readings and discussion celebrating the anthology Smashing It, Sabrina Mahfouz will be joined by brilliant working class writers and artists who every day subvert and break class stereotypes to find their own power.
6 May 2020
Poet, Playwright and Writer
Sabrina Mahfouz grew up between London and Cairo. She is a playwright, poet, screenwriter and performer who has recently been elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and is the recipient of the 2018 King’s Alumni Arts & Culture Award for inspiring change in the industry. She has been shortlisted for the Arts Foundation Award for Performance Poetry and has won a Sky Arts Academy Award for Poetry, a Westminster Prize for New Playwrights and a Fringe First Award. Sabrina is also the editor of the anthology The Things I Would Tell You: British Muslim Women Write (Saqi Books, 2017).
There is step-free access to all areas of Free Word and a number of other facilities available to make the venue accessible.
• Our box office, theatre and hall are all on the ground floor with step-free access from the street
• Meeting rooms and offices are accessible by lift from the ground floor
• There are two accessible toilets on the ground floor. All our toilets are individual, gender neutral cubicles.
• Hearing loops are available at the box office and the theatre (when set up theatre style) and in all meeting rooms
• The foyer and café areas are our designated quiet spaces – if you need to leave the event at any time, you’re welcome to use these areas.
• If you need to bring someone for assistance, please get in touch with us so we can provide a free ticket for them
Please talk to our team if you have specific access requirements.